Tuesday, November 29, 2011

23 | Getting Beyond The Suits

As a brother and exec board member of the professional business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi, I'm immersed in a "professional" landscape more than the average Lundquist College of Business student. We're recognized as one of the most conservative student groups in the school. I love looking the part of businessman. I take my work and my career very seriously. But I also take it all with a grain of salt. Structure and rules and professional norms are only helpful to a certain point (and it varies in place to place). After that, it kills creativity and hinders what's needed to fix problems.

I'm the University of Oregon Vice President of Administration. It's hard to find a student role with a stronger description implying the opposite of abstract thinking. We describe our President as the chapter cheerleader, and I'm there to hold him up for the crowd. When there's unpopular work that needs doing, I've been there to do it. And I'm happy to do it, but there's something that's been lacking.

The rest of the exec board and I have recognized in the last few months that we really don't need to stick to our job descriptions word for word. There is room between the lines to incorporate who we are outside of proper dress, resumes, and handshakes and offer something to the membership far more valuable. Business and creativity aren't silos, and we could all benefit from breaking down more walls in the fraternity. One doesn't need to be in a "creative" industry to incorporate creativity into their work.

Outside of AKPsi I choose to immerse myself in the creative thinking world. I read books and magazines on all subjects constantly, I take classes I have no need for except to fulfill my desire to learn and grow, I challenge others to think outside the box and refute the status quo. I made a sculpture out of glass shards because it's beautiful and it's different and it gave me an outlet to create for crying out loud. I get strange looks for it, but it doesn't matter. There is so much I experience that isn't considered "professional" that can be applied to any aspiring professional in any field.

That's why I've vowed to take a leap forward in incorporating the different aspects of my life with each other far more than I have thus far. My business friends and brothers are too often hidden from the inspiration of abstract thought. The friends I've made through the advertising program have their eyes shut from the resources and support business oriented thought can provide. I have four months left atop AKPsi, and I am determined to let my colors shine through and help others get beyond the metaphor of the suit. We will all be better leaders for it and influence countless more in our careers to open their own scopes. I look forward to my finale in the brotherhood still holding true to my responsibilities and playing the roles called for in each situation while bringing in the "others" in my life far more, leading us to be something bold and prosperous. It's through that internal partnership of creativity and business that I hope to open doors for the external partnerships I cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment