Tuesday, October 25, 2011

6 | Generosity and Reciprocity

We've been talking a lot about generosity in the agency world lately. I've been lucky enough to be at the receiving end of it on many occasions too. Kelly Meyers, Kelsey Coffrin, and Scott Bedbury have all been more than generous lately in helping me advance my career (THANK YOU ALL). I hope I can repay their favors with actions of my own some day.

Now, without diminishing what I just said, let's look at that previous statement: I hope I can repay their favors with actions of my own some day. I have a desire - a genuine desire - to be generous to Kelly, Kelsey, and Scott as a result of their generosity to me. No money changed hands. No promises were made. I just want to do a nice thing back. I already know they'd do the same for me. What a cool concept.

But wait! There's science behind this. In fact, it points to the notion that we are all wired for reciprocity. That is, if I extend a favor to you, regardless if you even know me, you are internally obligated to extend a favor back. Yesterday I watched an inspiring Stanford Breakfast Briefing video of Robert Cialdini talking about the power of persuasion (I'm searching for a link and will post it when i find one). The foundation for all the principles he suggests are built on this concept of reciprocity of generosity. It applies to personal interactions, international relief aid, and surely to consumer behavior.

Every major culture in the world teaches its children that those who extend resources to another has a significant credit and influence in the future. So why is so much of our world still stuck in a backwards mindset where the customer forks up cash and only then does a company deliver value?

We as advertisers and as business leaders need to rise above marketing and selling products. We need to give value to the world around us. If we focus on that, the selling will take care of itself.

Side note: I worked for Enterprise Rent-A-Car for a summer. It was a bad fit, but boy do I respect the company for its generosity. The mission statement is "Take care of customers and employees first and business success will follow." I assure you, the company lives by that too.  It also holds crazy high market share. Avis' "We Try Harder" campaign may be famous, but actions speak louder than campaigns.

Back on track: Value is not a coupon or a giveaway or some other marketing gimmick. Value is vowing not to contribute clutter to the airwaves, print, and web. Value is aiming to bring smiles to viewers' faces when they see what we're throwing at them. Value is supporting a cause because it's the right thing to do, not because it will give the illusion of humanity to a cold brand. Value is showing generosity towards audiences without conditions and a sales pitch. As individuals we have the power to set the tone for a relationship by acting first. As advertisers we have the same power, so let's use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment